Sunday, July 3, 2011

Bombay India & Colonial Briton Decor


Since it is now mid summer, I am writing even less than I was before.
Summer in my mind is a time for books and sun tanning. I've taken to the outdoors in the sunshine, and the sewing table in the rain. Scattered across my virtual desk, I have left remnants and snid-bits of posts & would be posts. And here is one of the snid-bits.

I am not the adventurous interior decorator that Kammy is (check out her amazing projects here http://kammyskorner.blogspot.com/), but every once in a while I take the time to work on a "big" project - aka one that is not finished in a day.

I was shopping around, mindlessly, looking for dishes in Value Village (secondhand store) when I saw this amazing little desk for $60 dollars. I'm not positive but it looked Bombay Inc worthy. The legs were a bit wobbly and the finish was a medium brown color that was scuffed a bit. 60 was definately more than I wanted to pay, and I wasn't sure if it was worth it.

My solution was to drag my dear mom to the store. She was cautious - a desk that needed work? "Ashley, you don't even use desks, you had one and never used it." She had a point.
I would rather sit on the floor, on my bed, etc.

I guess the desk is properly called a Secretariat. She new at once it was worth fixing. (Mom's a genius in refurbishing ) Since I still wasn't happy with the price, I talked the fellow down to $40.00. I think in all it took 3 days to finish, sanding and a couple coats of stain and it was finished.

And no, I never use it as a desk -- but it does look very pretty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment