Monday, February 1, 2010

Musings on Apples

Today I read a quote which had in it an interesting reference to Christ being an apple tree.

So, curious as ever, I searched e-sword to find the foundation for that reference. What verse links our Lord to an apple tree. The only reference that I could turn up was Song of Solomon 2:3,
"As the apple tree among the trees of the wood,
so is my beloved among the sons.
I sat down under his shadow with great delight,
and his fruit was sweet to my taste. "

This started me thinking....and I found another verse in the book of Joel that listed a bunch of fruit trees and said how all the these fruit trees had withered, " because joy is withered away from the sons of men." Joy, Delight: both have some connection to fruit trees.... then there is that verse "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver."

Any reference in the Bible to apples seems a mysterious reference. I can only find six references in Hebrew to apples. (There are many "apple of eye" references in the KJV, but the word apple is not the same as an apple tree...the "apple of eye" is literally translated "little man of the eye" or better translated pupil, since it was understood to mean pupil.)

Here are the six references if anyone cares to look them up....if you have any ideas as to the significance of apples, I'd love to hear them....

Proverbs 25:11
Song of Solomon 2:3
Song of Solomon 2:5
Song of Solomon 7:8
Song of Solomon 8:5
Joel 1:12



1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm3fZDZxiko

    Here is a version of the song "Jesus Christ the Apple Tree"

    When I was a girl my mom sung it in choir. I remember playing that song over and overagin on her practice tape. I was enraptured, the tune had such an enchanting ring to it, and I imagined all the saints singing it in heaven. At the time I thought it the most beautiful song I had ever heard, I still do. I hope you enjoy it as I wonder if the lyrics were what sparked your apple studies.

    A while ago I was enjoying that verse in s of s 2:3, the verse captures a wonderful view of Christ. To me my worship came in a picture and not really in words, although I put words to it later. I pictured an apple tree in full blossomed bloom with red apples hanging on its branches, all around it there were big glooming pine trees that bent over in a menacing way. A shaft of light came down from the tree tops and alighted on its branches and from every apple a great light resonated from it. To me Christ is the only one that satisfies. I think I was also picturing the fruit that Diggory recieves in The Magicians Nephew. In Him is fullness of life. Sorry for the long ramble but you asked for it :)

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete