Saturday, July 24, 2010

A letter


Sometimes I wonder what the purpose of life really is, what the is point, the purpose, the divine plan of life? As more of life that passes, the more I realize that life just doesn’t make sense. Nor perhaps is it meant to. The creation of Life is a mystery, the sustaining of Life can be a mystery –Life is a mystery.

Does a mother look at her child and wonder ‘how can this child be?’ Or a man with his bride wonder ‘how can this be?’ Maybe, no one else wonders these things ….But I wonder….not that I have every been a mother

(nor a man for that matter) but I wonder “How?”. For life, it does not make sense. Oh, it follows the typical patterns, and in many ways it can be so predictable, but close study defines nothing. Life defies being understood, I think.

There are a few things in Life which I find immensely satisfying. One of which is to bury my hands in Tobijah’s fur, his warm, soft, clean fur. It feels so deep, like you could lose your hands in his fur.

I clench my hands in his furry mien and for that moment--I am satisfied.

I sit on the porch swing as the cross breeze plays with my hair and faint cooing from mourning doves mingle with chickadee twitters.

Our porch swing is very satisfying. Or sitting close with a friend: I love the warmth – the comradeship, friendship, and the deeper sense of peace. Even more, spending time with the Lord, in the quiet of my room, listening.

I understand now why they say that dogs are good for children, since dogs love unconditionally. Tobijah doesn't mind when I grab handfuls of warm fur, he sits smiling his doggy smile.

Another thing: children. Children are so very satisfactory. Last weekend, I held my friends 7 week old baby. He lay in my lap, cooing, talking. Everytime I said "Hi", he would repeat the sound back to me. (Imagine how trilled I was.) Babies may be my weakness... so lovable. Warm. Soft. And little children are so trusting. Trusting, faithful, loving: character traits we should really be practicing. I think perhaps the fact little child pose no threat, and happy puppy dogs either is what makes us love them so. I enjoyed these verses, these verses gave a sense of purpose and comfort.


Isaiah 14:26 says "This is the purpose that is purposed upon the whole earth: and this is the hand that is stretched out upon all the. For the LORD of hosts hath purposed, and who shall disannul it? and his hand is stretched out, and who shall turn it back?

Ecclesiastes 5:18 Behold that which I have seen:it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion.

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for

this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be

good, or whether it be evil.

These are my contemplations for the day, I have drawn no new conclusions.

Sincerely,

Ashley



2 comments:

  1. mmm I love your post...the same question has been flittering around my mind for some time too...I think we have great visions of what life really is and we wait and wonder when it will show up and we will really be living. We sometimes shuffle through the smaller seemingly insignificant things in life and often I wonder if those things are what life really is about...sitting on the porch swing with a friend. I thought of this song I love by Sara Groves, here's a verse:


    "And I just showed up for my own life
    And I'm standing here taking it in and it sure looks bright

    I'm going to live my life inspired
    Look for the holy in the common place
    Open the windows and feel all that's honest and real until I'm truly amazed
    I'm going to feel all my emotions
    I'm going to look you in the eyes
    I'm going to listen and hear until it's finally clear and it changes our lives"

    thanks for your post :)
    love Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I always enjoy your comments. Its so true, I find myself waiting for life to 'happen', still find myself waiting to "grow up" as if somehow that is the epitome of all achievement.
    The song definitely suits :)
    "I just showed up for my life" -- a brilliant line
    <3 Ash

    ReplyDelete