Monday, July 26, 2010

"Oh! That...." The 10 "O thats" of Job

*There are at least 3 more such exclamations listed in the book of Job in the KJV, but none of those 3 are of the same Hebrew word.

O that God...
The Hebrew word מי , pronounced "me", used in direct exclamation is found 10 times in the book of Job. Athough this is often an interrogative pronoun, asking who, it is also a by oblique construction, a colloquial idom meaning "Would to God!..." Commonly phrased as "Oh that..."


The deepest yearnings of our soul are known only to God and are kept by Him.
Dare we entrust our yearnings to God, which knoweth the hearts?


The 10"O thats"of Job

1. Oh that I might have my request
2. Oh that God might speak
3. Oh that ye would hold thy peace
4. Oh that Thou wouldest hid me
5. Oh that my words were written
6. Oh that my words were printed in a book
7. Oh that I knew
8. Oh that I were
9. Oh that we had
10. Oh that One would hear

Do any of these sound familiar to you? Oh too familiar to me.
"I wish I had, God speak to me, everyone else be quiet, hide me o God, if only my words were written, if only what i had to say mattered, if only i knew, i wish i was ..., if only we had, oh that some ONE would listen"

The 10 "O that"s of Job. Job wasn't wrong to question, but he was genuinely longing for God to answer. Are we longing for God's answer, or are our exclamations really just exaggerated complaints?

Can we trust God to satisfy our need? Do we trust Him?


Job 6:8 Oh that I might have my request; and that God would grant me the thing that I long for!
Job 11:5 But oh that God would speak, and open his lips against thee;
Job 13:5 O that ye would altogether hold your peace! and it should be your wisdom.
Job 14:13 O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!
Job 19:23a Oh that my words were now written!
Job 19:23b Oh that they were printed in a book!
Job 23:3 Oh that I knew where I might find him! that I might come even to his seat!
Job 29:2 Oh that I were as in months past, as in the days when God preserved me;
Job 31:31 If the men of my tabernacle said not, Oh that we had of his flesh! we cannot be satisfied.
Job 31:35 Oh that one would hear me! behold, my desire is, that the Almighty would answer me, and that mine adversary had written a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment