Monday, May 30, 2011

Childlike Memories


I am sitting on my bed, listening to the sound of night creatures singing and the neighbors' far off whispers as they sit around a bonfire. The country air sways my curtain back and forth in tune to a secret song. The gentle breeze brings fond memories of "Cousin Nahum" and commando games in the dark. The memories stealthy gather from the corners of my mind and promptly assembly in a warm cheery circle, just waiting to be told.

Ah, yes, memories are social creatures, story tellers who imagine themselves sages. Who knows, perhaps they are? Like us all, there are bad memories and good memories. Tonight, mine are good, warm, and fond.

In their bright circle, they sit warming up, smiling. Ah, memories what funny creatures you are! But they don't see me watching, and good thing too, they would scatter. No, you have to catch a memory unawares if you want to see a story. I am waiting.

'Cousin Nahum' rises to his invisible feet. Well, come to mention it, Cousin Nahum is completely invisible. The Russian folk tales say that a Czar sent Ivan to "I don't know where" to bring back an "I do not know what", if Ivan was successful, he could marry the beautiful Vanessa. Ivan brought back Cousin Nahum, who was an invisible-wish-granting "I do not know what".

We loved that story. Cousin Nahum could grant any wish. In the story, when Ivan said, "Cousin Nahum, open the door!" the door would open of its own accord. We lamented that Russians had all the fun with their Cousin Nahum's and their adventures. If only we had a Cousin Nahum!

One day, I realized the cross-breeze made my bedroom door swing back and forth. The wind was so timely, that the door would open on the count of four everytime. Elated, I counted to 2 and said "Cousin Nahum, open the door!" The door opened -- opened by the cross breeze blowing it open.

Now, we had a "I do not know what" from "I do not know where" just like in the story. We had great fun playing jokes on our friends in the future. So, today, the cross breeze was gently swinging the door. "Cousin Nahum--" the door opened. I smiled, "Its good to have you back." What grand adventures can be found in childlike memories.



2 comments:

  1. You would never, ever guess the content of this post from looking at that odd picture. :p

    I'm also still laughing about reading the title "childlike memories" and seeing an imposing Russian painting... WHAT kind of a childhood did you have?? hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the very best childhood!... Still getting over the whole adult thing :P ;) ....

    haha :D

    ReplyDelete