Sunday, May 15, 2011

If you can Keep your Head...

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;

~ RK

For this past week, I have had an awful headache. Thankfully, I am not given to many headaches, but after this week, I'll empathize with those who are! Mostly, I staved it off with advil while at work and slept when home. Well, today the head cold finally caught up with me (explains the week of headache). agh.

So, anyway, as happens when I am sick -- I dream. Yiyiyi. Most of you were probably in my dreams this week! Some of you were. Haha, and don't ask, because you were probably all doing really-random-ridiculous things. Last night, I dreampt that I had a purple-pink hippo, yep a stuffed teddy-bear kind. It turned into a balloon and drifted away....... You get the picture. Pure nonsense.

All this nonsense caused me to think of this poem by Rudyard Kipling. IF. I've posted before on this poem -- I'll likely post again on it. It sort of applied to my week, the first two verses particularly. However, due to being sick and dreaming, my random silly thoughts got mixed in with it.

Thought I'd post my silly thoughts. Might be good for a laugh. (Just so you know, this peom is most likely my favorite poem-- just for the record this is not in mockery of the poem, but of me.)

R. Kipling's IF
Answered by Modern Remedy

If you can keep your head when all about you --(Advil, works great!)
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you; -- (I'll just give them advil.)
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
-- (I just wouldn't trust myself after pink hippos...)
But make allowance for their doubting too;
-- (Doubtfully, my dear Thompson & Thomson, no doubt about it.)

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master; --(The Horror, The horror)
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
--(Now, if I could just gather my thoughts together...)
If you can meet with triumph and disaster --(My relationship with my alarm clock.)
And treat those two imposters just the same; --(I wonder if success also fits into this category?)
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
--(I wonder what politicians think of this poem.)
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools, --(Thud. A little cartoon fool trips on a rope.)
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken, (Sigh.)
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;
(I wonder what Noah's hammer looked like, if he had one?)

...

No comments:

Post a Comment